Friday, January 05, 2007

2007 Off to A Rip Roaring Start

...or at least it was until today.

While going to pick up the girls from daycare, I hit a dog that ran into the street in front of me. I had no chance whatsoever of missing, and I hit it before my foot even reached the brake pedal.

I pull over immediately and get out, and the person in the SUV two cars back grabbed the dog and raced it to the vet, leaving her teenage daughter to comfort the kids that had just raced up. The dog had gotten out and they had been chasing it to catch it.

Let the kids use the cell to call someone and the daughter her mom. I tell the boy who owned how sorry I was, but he said it wasn't my fault. Pretty mature and or understanding considering the moment. They get picked up and taken to the vet and I take the daughter to the vet to rejoin her mom and also to see about the dog.

Turns out the dog winds up dying. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. But it didn't suffer so there's that I guess. I find out afterwards from some adult, relation unknown and the grandmother that it escapes all the time and has almost been hit before. She told me it wasn't my fault either. I know it isn't but I still feel horrible. Thank God this was before I picked up the girls.

And today started out so damn well.

3 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Oh Murph, I am so sorry. As you yourself said, you had no chance whatsoever to avoid it.

You're a good man - I've seen people hit animals and just keep on driving like nothing happened. They deserve to rot in hell.

You did the right thing, so try not to beat yourself up about it.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

:( I hit a raccoon once. I felt sick to my stomach. I can only imagine how much worse you feel about this. Don't take it too hard. :(

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I've hit some wild animals before (we live in the hills) and I *always* feel sick to my stomach. I know I'm late with this post... but I really feel bad for you Murph. ((Hugs))

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home